We all love basketball and enjoy watching and cheering for our favourite team, but as spectators, we need to remember that an individual's behaviour reflects on all of us and our club.
Basketball England and BasketballSUSSEX have Codes of Ethics and Conduct and the Sussex Bears Basketball Club expect all participants to adhere to them at all times. Failure to follow them may mean you are asked to leave, formally warned about your future conduct, or banned from the club.
At all times, please remember:
- Be on your best behaviour and never use bad language, harass, physically or verbally abuse any Player, Coach, Referee or Table Official, or any other participant.
- Applaud all good play by your own team and the opposition and encourage all players to play according to the rules and spirit of the game.
- Show respect for your team’s opponents. Without them, there would be no game.
- Do not post inappropriate or negative comments, photos, or video on any social media platform or Internet system.
- Remember that children play a sport for their own enjoyment. They are not there to entertain you.
- Encourage children to play, do not force them. Always praise your child’s efforts whether they win or lose.
- Never ridicule or scold a child for making a mistake. Children learn best by following a good example.
- Respect the match officials decisions. Remember, they are only human with the same feelings as you and me, and as all humans do, they sometimes make a mistake.
With the exception of assistance dogs, the Sir Robert Woodard Academy operates a strict no pets policy on school grounds.
The consumption of alcohol is also forbidden and anyone found drinking alcohol or with alcohol on their persons will be asked to leave immediately. Glass bottles are prohibited in the Sports Hall.
Please ensure you observe all written or verbal instructions regarding the use of photographic or video equipment during Sussex Bears events, training sessions, or competitions/games. For further information and advice, please refer to the NSPCC Child Protection in Sport Unit website.
On behalf of everyone at the Bears Club, we thank you for your cooperation in respect of these rules.